To celebrate the Judith’s Reading Room’s 10th Anniversary, the Board of Directors allocated $5,000 to be divided amongst 10 of its “stand out” libraries. Rev. Dr. Topps is one of the 10 to receive the organization’s special commemorative award. Specifically, Judith’s Reading Room purchased 73 books for its 99th library.
The 10 Judith’s Reading Room ‘Stand Out’ libraries are:
- Teach Rwanda, Muhanga, South Province Rwanda
- Rev. Dr, Leoda Topps, Pastor, Avery Chapel Chapel AME Church, Southaven, Mississippi
- Casa Guadalupe, Allentown, Pennsylvania
- Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- VA “100 “ Program at Various VA Hospitals, Lebanon, Pennsylvania
- Harkins’ House, Portland, Oregon
- Anjali House, Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Alif Laila Book Bus Society, Lehore, Pakistan
- La Palapa Society, Todos Santos, Mexico
- The Leadership Center, Zambrano, Honduras
“By supporting the good work of others, we aspire to share and celebrate people who are doing genuinely astonishing work, instilling in others a love of reading,” said Scott Leiber, Co-Founder of Judith’s Reading Room.
In addition to libraries, Judith’s Reading Room holds an annual competition for the “Freedom Through Literacy Award.” Initiated in 2015, Judith’s Reading Room has disbursed $33,500 in prize money, honoring 31 individual champions of literacy in the United States, the Philippines, Bhutan, Pakistan, Rwanda, Cambodia, Mexico, Australia, Zimbabwe and Greece.
Applications for the 2020 Freedom Through Literacy Award may be found at www.judithsreadingroom.org/freedom-through-literacy-award/. Deadline is July 1st. Winners announced end of July.